Saturday, March 28, 2009

of course i need to have a post about license plates


I know this is the question foremost in most minds when visiting another country: WHAT IS THEIR LICENSE PLATE SYSTEM?? Don't worry. I'm working on figuring it out. Unfortunately, the main part is two sets of (usually) two numbers - sometimes there are only 3 numbers. In my book, this makes looking at the license plate way less interesting and harder to fathom, but, each license plate also has the name of what I think is the district of where the car was bought (followed by more numbers - so many variables!), so it's fun trying to read that. Anyway, there's also one letter stamped to the left of the main set of numbers but I haven't noticed any pattern to them...yet.

Lots of people bike here. Everyone from old ladies wearing face masks because they have colds, to high schoolers with friends on the handlebars. Bike baskets are popular. Yesterday I saw a woman with her baby in her front basket and groceries in her back basket; it made me nervous. Another thing that makes me nervous is that no one wears helmets! Not even the baby in the basket! This really surprised me because the streets are so crowded, but I guess they're mostly crowded with pedestrians and other bikes so maybe accidents are rare. I hope they're as rare as locked bikes. This is less surprising since the crime rate here is so low and most of the bikes I've seen are purely functional. A lot of them have these cool kickstands that flip down around the back tire on both sides, though, if I were a thief, I'd steal one for that.

4 comments:

  1. Take pictures of license plates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I want a picture, too. but love the observations. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the license photo! it really looks very great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kickstand sounds cool! I think you should definitely steal a bike. Or at least get one.

    ReplyDelete